Monday, October 21, 2013

h-appy

Last weekend G and I traveled "up the mountain" to watch some Appalachian State football. It was homecoming. And it was a blow out game. Unfortunately, AppState was the team that lost. 


G and I both attended AppState but had very different college experiences. G worked full time while he went to school and commuted an hour to his job every day. This left him with little time to engage in the full college life and thus many of his memories of undergrad are wrought with stress, driving, and obligation. 

I on the other hand lived in campus and only worked part time. My roommate became my best friend, I was involved with a campus ministry, I loved my major, and I graduated with lots of great memories of college life. 

Autumn always makes me miss Boone and the simplicity of college student life. When I was a senior I lived in a hall right across from TCBY. There was a little guy that worked there that gave me and my roommate, Sarah, free Pumpkin Pie froyo. Like every day. Those were the days I could eat whatever I wanted and remain a cool 102 pounds. 

Every Tuesday night before I had my car on campus, Sarah and I would walk to CCF, the college student ministry we were involved in on campus. Walking around campus with friends is one of my favorite memories. But there is something special in my mind about sharing those walks to "church" with my best friend in the crisp autumn air. There was also that spring that Sarah and I took a health class on the opposite side of campus and braved the crazy Boone wind to listen to Paul Moore for 20 minutes two times a week. 

Sometimes I really feel bad that G doesn't have those sorts of memories. Saturday morning trips to Stick Boy Bread Co. for scones. Standing in line at McAlister's for an hour. Cheap movies at the auditorium on campus. Long lunch dates at the student union. Granted, my time at AppState had it's own struggles and worries, but it was a really fulfilling and joyous time in my life. 

Even though we had to watch our team lose, it's nice to go back to Boone with G and make new memories. We often imagine what life could have been like if we had met and fell in love at AppState. Our story unfolded just the way it was supposed to, but it's fun to imagine. I like going back and walking through campus with my hubs and remembering the good times and remembering how I prayed for a certain life and enjoying just how good my life is now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment